Eyesight is one of the most important human senses and is responsible for about 80% of what we perceive. Without proper eye care, our sight can slowly, and gradually deteriorate. This can lead to poor vision or worse, even total blindness. By protecting your eyes, you can greatly reduce the chances of developing optical diseases like glaucoma and cataracts.
According to a report by the Centers and Disease Control and Prevention (CDCP), more than 4.2 Americans aged 40 and above are either legally blind or with poor vision. The most common eye problems include blurred vision, halos, blind spots or scotomas, dark holes in the visual field. Strabismus and amblyopia are other eye conditions that can affect sight. These visual problems are linked to aging, diabetes, drugs, and/or damage to the eye itself.
Poor vision can affect our everyday tasks tremendously. Thus, eye care is necessary. But, how do you really take care of your eyes? Here is a list of best eye care practices you can do to maintain that 20/20 vision:
- Eat a healthy meal. Good eyesight is linked to your general health. With that, it is essential to eat a well-balanced diet packed with some green, leafy, vegetables. Omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E are critical nutrients for your eyes.
- Stop smoking. Smoking can be damaging to your optic nerves, which can affect your eyesight.
- Wear glasses. Choose a pair of glasses that can protect you from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Too much UV exposure of the eyes can develop cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Lessen computer/phone time. Prolonged use of computers or phones can cause eye strain, blurry vision, dry eyes, and headaches.
- Consult an optometrist. A regular eye exam can help you with your vision problems. Eye exams can also diagnose early stages of eye problems. By treating it immediately, this lowers the risks of vision loss.
Eye care is as essential as your general health. With good and clear eyesight, you can live your life more and appreciate the beauty of everything around you. Take care of your eyes with Border Free Supply’s eye care essentials.