Alphagan eye drops are used to treat both glaucoma and high eye pressure. Glaucoma is a condition in which there may be high fluid pressure in the eye.
Glaucoma is typically brought on by an accumulation of fluid that passes through the eye. This accumulation happens when the fluid in your eye drains more slowly than it is pumped in. The pressure keeps building because more fluid keeps flowing into the eye and joining the fluid already there. This increased pressure may harm the back of the eye, causing progressive blindness.
Damage might develop so gradually that the person is unaware of the loss of vision. Often, even normal eye pressure is associated with damage to the back of the eye.
One drop of Alphagan should be applied to the afflicted eye(s) thrice daily, eight hours apart. Additionally, various topical ophthalmic medication products may be used concurrently with Alphagan ophthalmic solution to reduce intraocular pressure. If more than one topical ophthalmic treatment is used, the products should be administered at least five minutes apart.
Alphagan eye drops are effective in treating glaucoma and excessive eye pressure in the majority of patients. However, some may experience adverse side effects.
Some of the side effects of Alphagan eye drops are the following:
- redness and swelling of the eye (s)
- redness and swelling of the eyelids and surrounding area
- watering of the eye(s)
- feeling of something in the eye(s)
- conjunctivitis (discharge with itching of the eye and crusty eyelids)
- dry eyes
- blurred vision
- irritation of the eye(s)
- burning and stinging of the eye(s)
- excessive sensitivity to bright light
- eye ache/pain
- whitening of the eye(s)
- abnormal vision
- nasal dryness
- oral dryness
- abnormal taste
- upper respiratory symptoms
- systemic allergic reactions
- gastro-intestinal symptoms
If you experience any of the following symptoms, notify your doctor right away:
- lightheadedness and dizziness, which could be a sign of low blood pressure
- Palpitations or irregular heartbeat
These are serious side effects that may require you urgent medical attention. Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. Contact your doctor if you notice any other side effects.